12/07/2010

Junk Food Stamps

TheDC Investigation: What I was able to buy with my food stamps
By Matthew Boyle - The Daily Caller


What can you buy with food stamps? Pretty much anything sold in a grocery store, other than tobacco, booze and hot food. To find out what that really means, I took my November stipend to Whole Foods, a pricey organic food emporium that is as much a yuppie metaphor as it is a supermarket.

My first stop was the seafood counter, where I found the thickest swordfish steak I could, which at $18.99 per pound also turned out to be the most expensive item in the department. Then I headed to the coffee section, where I dropped $11.99 for a pound of fresh roasted beans.

From there, the milk aisle, where $8 bought a half gallon of pure organic goat’s milk. Nearby was the cheese section, where I found a tiny wedge of fancy-looking cheese from some European city I’ve never heard of and threw it my cart.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/12/07/thedc-investigation-what-i-was-able-to-buy-with-my-food-stamps/#ixzz17Rbfyv3z
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment