10/07/2010

Another example of why 'moderate's in the GOP are on the ropes - and should be!

Rush Limbaugh:  My Conversation with a Ranking GOP Leader Who Expects Obama to Moderate After the Election
RUSH: Ladies and gentlemen, I had a conversation this morning with a ranking Republican figure. I'm not going to mention any names. The ranking Republican figure assured me that -- well, didn't assure; that's the wrong word. The ranking Republican figure opined that if there are huge electoral victories in the House and the Senate for Republicans in November, that Obama will do a Clinton and triangulate and moderate and
become less liberal.

Now, I listened to this patiently, and with an open mind, and then I expressed my sincere disagreement with this. I said, "I don't think that's going to happen. I think we're dealing with somebody who's gleeful. He has accomplished a lot. He's extremely happy at what he's been able to pull off in 20 months. And the next two years, he's going to do as much destruction, damage as he can, while blaming Republicans for it all the way." And the ranking Republican said to me, "Do you believe even if it means he won't be reelected in 2012?" I said, "Absolutely. Who's gonna vote for him in 2012 if" -- I mean, his party already is gonna hate his guts. His base, they're not happy with him because he hasn't closed Guantanamo, hasn't gotten out of Iraq or Afghanistan. We don't have single payer health care. I mean, his fringe base is not happy. Democrats that are gonna lose their seats in the House and Senate, they're not going to be happy. I mean, I think he's looking at the next two years as the single greatest opportunity the left has had to totally destruct and reform the country in their image.
The LA Times has a story today: "Obama Reshapes Administration for a Fresh Strategy -- White House staff changes are being made with an eye toward achieving goals through executive actions rather than by trying to push plans through the next Congress, which is expected to be even more hostile to the president." More executive orders, more regulations via czars and cabinet members. This is how they will do climate change and card check. They're gonna try to do as much of it as they can. Think executive order to understand this. Apparently there are a lot of Republicans who think that's not going to happen, that Obama is going to be humbled by this major shellacking and will have to moderate much as Clinton did if he wants to be reelected in 2012. From what I gather, the thinking is that Obama will want to be reelected in 2012, and in the playbook, the only way for Obama now to get reelected in 2012 is to drop this hard-core liberalism and join the Republicans in the middle to get things done. I just don't see that happening at all.

Read More Here:
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment